Rhodes was inhabited by Achaeans (15th century BC) and Dorians (11th century BC). In 700 BC. was part of the Doric Hexapolis.
In the battle of Salamis (480 BC) he fought – out of necessity – on the side of the Persians. In 478-7 BC. joined the Athenian Alliance.
The city of Rhodes was built in 408 BC. on drawings of the great urban planner Hippodamos from Miletus.
During the 5th, 4th and 3rd c. is the undisputed naval-commercial center, it gets rich, it presents great cultural prosperity (theater, famous school of rhetoric with Greek and Roman students), it mints its own coins.
In 269 he accepted the invasion of the Goths. Later (297) it is part of the territories of the Byzantine Empire.
For a short time, in the middle of the 7th century, it was occupied by the Saracens.
From the 11th to the 16th c. gradually passes to the domination of the Genoese and the Crusaders.
In 1306 it was sold by the Genoese to the Knights of the Order of St. John
(their rule began in 1309).
They built a powerful fleet, commercial and military, built medieval Rhodes and adorned it with hundreds of imposing buildings that fortified them behind an imposing castle wall.
In 1522 it became part of the Ottoman Empire.
The Turks stayed on the island until 1912.
From then until 1945 Rhodes lived under Italian occupation.
In 1947 it was integrated in Greece.
Today, it is a vibrant part of the modern city where commercial,
tourist and leisure activities are developed and includes residential areas.
Rhodes has a mild climate with plenty of rainfall.
In fact, there are only two seasons: spring and summer.
Summer starts in April and lasts until November, with an average temperature of 30 degrees Celsius.
On average, Rhodes has 300 days of sunshine a year, while between April and October it is estimated that the chances of uninterrupted sunshine are almost one hundred percent.
From November to April the lowest temperature is at 10 degrees,
the coldest month which is January, while there is a lot of rainfall which in combination with the good temperature
creates a beautiful vegetation on the island.
As an island in the eastern Aegean, Rhodes combines the special features of the West and the East, which are reflected in the monuments, buildings and archeological sites. Stroll through the cobbled alleys of the impressive medieval old town of Rhodes, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and visit the Palace of the Grand Master. Take a walk in the temple of Apollo, wander the citadel at the highest point of Lindos and do not miss a trip to the famous valley with butterflies, for a walk in a lush natural environment with running water.
The cosmopolitan atmosphere of Rhodes excites every visitor. Try the amazing local cuisine in elegant restaurants and have a drink in one of the bars or nightclubs. If you love excursions, you can take day trips to the nearby islands or explore the picturesque villages of Rhodes. One of the most beautiful places in Rhodes is Monolithos. The climb to the hill will give you the opportunity to admire the panoramic view of the entire Aegean from the ruins of the fortress located at the top. In the surrounding area there are beautiful beaches for swimming
The old town was built by the Knights of the Order of St. John who arrived in Rhodes in the 13th century.
The impressive Castle of the Knights of St. John or the Knights of Rhodes is now located on the NW side of the castle of the Old Medieval City, the so-called, during the years of the Knights (1309-1522), Kollakio or Chateu.
Your wandering in the alleys of the Old Town will bring you in front of the Knights’ Street, which is built on a street of the ancient city.
In 1522, after several failed attempts, the city of Rhodes finally falls into the hands of the Ottomans and the period of Ottoman rule begins (1522-1912).
We would not characterize this period as one of the most brilliant for the city, but rather the opposite.
The fortifications and most of the medieval buildings are preserved but the changes in the uses are important.
The Palace of the Grand Master is turned into a prison, the Hospital of the Knights into a barracks, while at the same time many mosques are built, with impressive minarets and baths.
The Greeks no longer had the right to live within the walls.
Those who maintained shops and generally those who worked in it, were forced to leave it at sunset. In 1912 a new period begins for Rhodes, when it is occupied by the Italians.
The period of Italian occupation (1912-1948) is a period of development and transformation of the city.
Other important sights of the Old Town, which in addition to medieval monuments, houses a whole mosaic of ancient, Byzantine,
Ottoman but Italian monuments are the Temple of Aphrodite,
the Knights’ Hospital, which houses the Archaeological Museum,
the Byzantine Museum, the Byzantine Museum Museum
of Decorative Arts, Suleiman the Magnificent and the Palace of Castellania.
However, the Old Town is not only suitable for romantic walks.
As we have said, this is a living State, which is flooded -always with respect to tradition, as any road intervention is prohibited- from all kinds of shops,
restaurants, taverns while its nightlife is proverbial.
Access: It is located in the heart of the city and
the best way to get around it is on foot.
Lindos, a strong naval city in antiquity, is considered today, along with the surrounding areas –
Kalathos and Vliha, Pefki, Pylon and Lardos -, one of the most charming resorts of the island, which combines the beauty of nature with cultural heritage.
Its houses, perched on the slopes, project white in the blue depths of the sky and the sea.
Walking in its cobbled alleys, you enjoy the simple beauty of the traditional island architecture and following labyrinthine paths, you unconsciously lead your steps to the ancient Acropolis, witnessing its turbulent history.
The beaches around, golden in the sunlight, complete the magic of the landscape. And when the sun dives into the waters of the Aegean, magical and dreamy nights await you.
Access: If you have not rented a car then you can get there by bus or taxi. Ask for information from your hotel as there is often a vehicle that can take you there.
in an environment, modern and touristic, but at the same time intensely historical.
The city acquired the form we know today from the Knights of the Order of St. John who held the city from the beginning of the 14th century, until 1522 when it fell into the hands of the Turks.
Its most important monument is the Palace of the Grand Master, the medieval ruler of the city and the island.
It was originally built during the Byzantine times, in the 7th century, as an acropolis of the Byzantine castle.
It is located at the end of Knights Street, opposite the church of Agios Ioannis.
The knights maintained it and added various new buildings and functions to make it the residence of the Grand Master and the administrative center of the city.
The great siege of 1522 by the Ottomans left it intact, due to its solid construction, but it was destroyed by a great explosion of the church of Agios Ioannis.
The Italian conquerors, in 1940, rebuilt it keeping as much as possible its original form.
In recent decades it has been maintained and modernized by the Greek government to host the EEC Summit in 1988.
The road leading to the Palace of the Grand Master, Knights Street, is the most important street in the Medieval City.
With a length of 200 meters and a width of 6, it has on its sides the houses of the Knights with their coats of arms that we see on their doors as we walk around this old road.
Near the beginning of the road is the Hospital of the Knights, the most important building of the Knights’ era, which today houses the Archaeological Museum of Rhodes.
Also, on the street you will see the Church of the Holy Trinity of the 15th century.
was named after the Saint of the village. It has 355 people and is about 55 km away.
It is 92 km away from our city, has a population of 496 beautiful souls and many historical elements, as well as the enchanting lake, or Apolakia Dam. The village got its name from the place of the pit!
It took its name from the Temple of the god Apollo, 53 km away from Rhodes. With a population of 845 Greek hearts. It has a museum, restaurants and all the houses are in bloom and blossom like the hearts of the hospitable Apollonians.
It is 86 km away, with a population of 215 people, has many ancient Byzantine and natural beauties and attractions. It is an ancient and pre-Greek name, it cannot be explained!
The real name of the village is Municipality of Pontorea. Today’s name was taken from the Archangel Michael. It has a population of 5384 souls and has many natural beauties, the castle and crystal clear beaches, in addition to the divine and fascinating Hall.
With 33 kilometers from the city, with the ancient name of Oikistis and the green environment, the small Archipolis is a pole of attraction for thousands of tourists, Greeks and foreigners who are extremely happy with its hospitality, cleanliness and beauty. of the village: 582 people.
It is called Asclepieion because here there was a religious, ecclesiastical sanatorium. It is 65 km away and has many churches, a castle and a unique famous museum: 483 people.
The village got its name from the landowner Efantos. It has 6,072 inhabitants and is 20 km away. Its beaches and churches are famous and sought after by all Rhodesians and foreigners.
It has 323 inhabitants, is 71 km away from Rhodes and its real ancient name is the Municipality of Kamyndeon. The word Vati comes from the Oikistria of the village: VATIDA.
It is 64 km away, with a population of 671 people. It took its name from the landowner Gennadis in the Middle Ages. It has excellent beaches and the whole area is historic and beautiful.
A village that reminds us of the ancient goddess Dimitra. It has a population of 447 pure souls and is 20 km away.
It took its name from the two mills of the village, it is 30 km away and the environment is enchanting, historical and unforgettable.
The village is called Embonas, it is 54 km away. It has a population of 1,061 hospitable, traditional and smiling souls. Its name means subservient terms and we must say it: Embonas…
His name is Theologian and not Tholos and he took it from Saint John the Theologian. It is 20 km away with a population of 620 people. The Butterflies belong to this village and the Valley of the Butterflies is the most beautiful landscape of our Rhodes.
It is 80 km away, has a population of 291 Greek and religious souls and was named, perhaps, by the landowner of the village: Istro.
It took its name from Tsiflikas of the village called Bardas, an old landowner of Byzantium, like many villages of Rhodes. It is 31 km away with a population of 512 Greek hearts.
It is 44 km from Rhodes, it took its name from Ancient Greece, when this area was called the Municipality of Klasia. It has 502 people and is a beautiful village next to our fascinating Lindos.
It has 2,836 people and was named after the Kalytea plant that once thrived in the area. It is 15 km away and the whole area is full of ancient names, Byzantine monasteries and enchanting natural beauty.
It took its name from the mythical General Kattavos, it is 84 km east, 108 km west, a population of 278 souls, with many ancient and modern beauties.
A few kilometers from the city, 5 minutes by car, has a population of 2,539 Greek hearts. It took its name from the great landowner of the area called Koskinas.
Its name, the famous village, was taken from the hanging church of Panagia which was on the Castle of the village. It has 4,585 inhabitants and is 11 km from our Rhodes.
It means Little Crete, it is 53 km away with a smiling and nice population of 454 people. The Castle of Kritinia and Amartos, two of the many attractions in the area.
The real name of the village is Municipality of Ladarmia, today it has 446 souls, it is 64 km away and the area, apart from the historical Tharri, has many historical and archeological interests.
Pre-Greek name full of archeological finds, ancient names, the monastery Ypseni. With a population of 1,212 inhabitants and is 52 km away.
It got its name from the fertile area. There is the monastery of Zoodochos Pigi, which must be seen by every Rodite, Dodecanese, Greek and pilgrim of Europe, 341 Greek souls, 85 km.
Only 49 km., Population 1,091 people. It is whole like ancient Greece! Its Acropolis is older than Athens and has a large number of finds and sights.
The real name of the village: Malonas. It is 38 km away and has a population of 982 most revered, sweetest Greek souls.
The famous village and village of heroes and resistance fighters. It took its name from the title MARSHAL, the landowner of the area. It is 17 km away and the monasteries of Sotiras and Keroniatis are worth visiting. Population 1776.
It is 40 km away with 1040 people, with a nice school and green orange groves. Massari means village in the mountains!
It means cultivated, fenced, Byzantine, large farm, 330 people and 83 km distance, wonderful church of the 13th century.
It is 80 kilometers away and has a population of 334 Greek resistance souls. It is called Monolithos from the big rock on the top of which there is a castle.
32- Paradise: It means a place rich in Fauna and Flora. Distance 15 km and population 2,646 hearts.
The name is ancient Greek and means a flat surface like a bed, like a Bridal Pastada. Distance 15 km and population 3,641.
A village with a number of plane trees, a distance of 38 kilometers and a population of 383 souls.
The name is a corruption of the word Propylaea, distance 77 km and population of 326 people.
It is the Gate of South Rhodes. Distance from Rhodes 46 km and population 504 souls.
It was named after the landowner Salakos. Population 607 and distance 39 km.
The name of the village comes from the Ancient Municipality of Vrasiana. Distance 77 kilometers and 244 people. Nice church of Agios Panteleimon and many historical and folklore sights.
Soron is called the oak and Soroni means village in the oak forest. Distance 24 kilometers and 1,278 Greek breaths.
It is 8 km away. This is the ancient state of Rhodes called the State of Ialyssia. It has a population of 10,107 people. Ancient Greek name.
Distance 26 kilometers, population 895 souls. The name probably comes from the surname of Fanai Apollo.
It comes from the Ancient Municipality of Sivynthia, and the word Sibynthos became Psinthos in the mouth of our beautiful people. Psinthos is 25 km away from the city of Rhodes and has 1,166 nice and gentle people.
Our whole island has around 117,007 people and all the Dodecanese 190,071 Greeks. The length of the island is 77 km and the width is 37 km. The area of the island is 1400 sq.m. and according to the wonderful Greek Mythology, it has many ancient wonderful names.
Agathi beach is located near Haraki. A beautiful sandy beach suitable for families that promises to give the visitor an incredible day. A large part of the beach is very clean and without rocks, you have to be careful from one point and then the beach has a lot of rocks!
Haraki beach is one of the most famous beaches in Rhodes. Too many people visit it as there are many shops around such as mini markets, cafes, restaurants, houses for rent and much more. The beach in Haraki is divided into 2 parts, in one it is full of sunbeds and people more accessible, and on the other side of the beach it is quieter and bigger beach for those who want to relax.