Filerimos Monastery Rhodes is located at an altitude of 267 meters on the homonymous hill
of Filerimos and is dedicated to Panagia Zoodochos Pigi.
At this location was the Acropolis of Ialyssos and the amphiprostyle,
Doric temple of Athena Polias and Zeus Polius (3rd-2nd century BC).
An ancient Christian three-aisled basilica (5th century AD) was built on the ruins
of the sanctuary from which the crucifix Baptistery is preserved.
At the time of the Knights, in the 14th century, the stone-built Gothic church
(adjacent to the Baptistery) was restored and then the monastery complex
of Panagia was built with its impressive bell tower.
The monastery was destroyed during the Turkish occupation,
rebuilt in the 15th century. and operated by monks of the Capuchin Order (17th century)
until World War II.
The building complex includes, in addition to the Baptistery and the Gothic Monastery,
ruins of the temple of the Byzantine Monastery (10th century),
the restored temple of Panagia (15th century) as well as the Byzantine
underground church of Agios Georgios with Chios. of the 14th century.
It is said that it was built by Apostle Luke. There are also 2 chapels,
one for Orthodox and one for Catholics. From the east entrance,
the visitor climbs a wide stone staircase and leads to the monastery,
crossing the "Martyr's Street" (or Golgotha).
This street is paved, with 14 engravings on altar on one side (narrated by the Passion of the Lord)
and ends at an 18 meter Cross, from which - through a round staircase - one can admire
the panoramic view of the whole island.
The presence of peacocks is strong throughout the journey.
The miraculous icon of Virgin Mary Filerimos (11th century) was in the Monastery until 1523.
Over the centuries it was moved to Italy, Malta, Russia, Berlin and since 2002
it has been hosted in the Blue Chapel of the National Museum of Montenegro.
Filerimou, Ialysos, Greece