is one of the most famous sights of Rhodes, mainly due to the monastery
of Panagia Filerimos located there and its beautiful renovation by the Italians before the war.
Filerimos, however, was during the Middle Ages primarily a castle and, earlier, an acropolis.
The castle occupies the southeastern side of the ancient citadel of Ialyssos,
one of the three main cities of Rhodes in antiquity.
The castle has various building phases: Ancient, Byzantine, Knightly (1480),
and Ottoman rule (16th -19th century). Zoe.
It seems that since then there was already there (and) a monastery.
The Byzantines built a fortress on the site of the ancient citadel, unknown since when,
which was used by the Knights and the Turks.
At the same time, during the early Christian period (5th – 6th century AD) and later in the 13th century, there was a monastic community there that during the Knightly period were Franciscan monks.
The well-known sieges of the castle of Filerimos are by the Genoese
in 1248 and by the Ioannites in 1306.
On November 11, 1306, the castle of Filerimos, in which the Greeks had installed a guard of 300 Turkish mercenaries, was captured by the Knights after the betrayal of a Greek, while all the Turks were killed.
The knightly reconstruction dates back to 1480 and 1481, during the reign of Grand Master Pierre d’Aubusson (d’Obsus, 1476-1503). In 1480,
the Knights were forced to fortify the castle due to the danger of Turkish attack. During the Italian occupation, the castle was restored (1926 and 1936).
Structural, Architectural, Fortification Elements
The fortification has an irregular shape, area 2000 sqm and perimeter walls 700m.
There is an additional enclosure to the north, with a diamond-shaped floor plan.
Surviving, and a knightly fortress of trapezoidal plan in the eastern corner of the main precinct with towers in the three corners.
The following towers can be seen throughout the castle: the western cylindrical tower of the northern additional precinct (Byzantine period),
the eastern cylindrical tower of the northern additional precinct (Byzantine period),
the southeastern polygonal tower of the and the northwestern, originally polygonal, tower of the knightly fortress (Byzantine and knightly period).
The church of Panagia Filerimou 15th c. in the main fort precinct,
Agios Georgios Hostos and the monastery of Panagia Filerimou as well as a small church of the 10th c.
It should be noted that the tall building that dominates the area and is in a way a trademark of Filerimos, can not be considered part of the castle, despite its tower-like features.
Firstly because it is a bell tower and secondly because it is a construction of the 20th century.
In 1934 the Italians made a route depicting Christ’s journey to Golgotha,
all the way with engraved representations of Christ to the cross.
At the end of the route they made a huge cross 18 meters high with an internal staircase, from where visitors can climb to the top.
During World War II, it was forced to be demolished so that it would not be an orientation point for Allied aircraft, and it was rebuilt after the war.